by christina shields
For those of you who’ve been following The Style Line since the beginning, you’re well aware our aim is to celebrate fashion from around the globe. With this in mind, check out this exclusive interview from our contributing photographer Christina Shields who interviewed owner Alissa Martin of Pittsburgh-based shopping spot Pavement Boutique. She caught up with Alissa to discuss style, shoes and good old Pittsburgh.
How did Pavement come about?
I was first inspired to own my own business in college when I worked for an independently-owned shop at Penn State in the mid-nineties. I sold Doc Martens and fell in love with the community aspect of working for a small independently owned business Following college and after a decade working in various positions in the non-profit sector, interior design field, an art gallery; I felt prepared to start my own business.
How did Pavement get it’s name?
Pavement initially started as a shoe boutique. Seven years ago, Pittsburgh’s Lawrenceville neighborhood was gritty and very urban and I wanted our name to reflect the environment of the neighborhood i adored. I’m also a fan of the was a fan of the indie-rock band Pavement, it all seemed to make sense.
What clothing items are your favorite to wear?
You’ll typically see me in ankle boots and wearing slews of bracelets and rings
What do you look for when buying from season to season?
Quality, craftsmanship and unique details. We strive to carry under-the-radar brands and independent designers. Each of our items are curated to reflect our love of fashion, art and design.
How would you describe Pittsburgh fashion and how does Pavement encourage/challenge this?
Pittsburgh fashion is casual, eclectic and relaxed. I believe you don’t have to be trendy or a “fashionista” to be fashionable. Pavement is very much inspired by street fashion and promotes individual style above all.
What does entrepreneurship mean to you?
Awareness in entrepreneurship is capturing the essence of the independent spirit. The independent spirit of small business adds to the vibrancy and uniqueness of our communities. Awareness is knowing your customer and catering to the items they love and looking to your customers for inspiration.
Who is the Pavement customer?
The Pavement customer is an original, creative, free-spirited woman.
SHOP Alissa’s looks from left to right: 1. Double Plot Blouse: $200 Mona Trousers: $78 Guipil Blanket Bag: $138 Draped Orb Earrings: $60 Stone Ring: $86 2.Eleni Cowl Neck Sweater: $98 Denim Girdles: $134 Vintage Foster Grant Sunnies: $10 Disco Dangle Earrings: $68 Fermin Cuff: $140Stone Ring: $86 3. Easy Pieces Dress: $208 Layering Necklaces: $32 Trae Ring: $384. Fringe Isis Poncho: $164 Pyramid Scape Necklace: $84 5. Newsom Dress: $132 Flower Power Cardi: $168 Carmen Hat: $40 6. Free People dress: $148.00
- hazallguness likes this
- philski03 likes this
- cincygirlstyle likes this
- paperinthewind likes this
- christinashields-photography likes this
- christinashields-photography reblogged this from thestyleline
- legwearloft likes this
- rahmaryani likes this
- viva-mais-pense-menos likes this
- twenty2october reblogged this from thestyleline
- versavulture17 likes this
- oui-oui-in-paris reblogged this from thestyleline
- fellamegita reblogged this from thestyleline
- stef11mr reblogged this from thestyleline
- lovedudagatastuff likes this
- midwestmeetsmanhattan reblogged this from thestyleline
- yaniwln reblogged this from thestyleline
- bound---less likes this
- cozca-rose likes this
- rwwen likes this
- justwantsum22 likes this
- katalinamelody likes this
- nati-lopez likes this
- lesliecocogreen likes this
- aonit18 likes this
- beautybybriiiiiiiiii likes this
- conquershewill reblogged this from thestyleline
- damarisnava91 likes this
- hamashkaa likes this
- futurearchitectartist reblogged this from thestyleline
- tinywho reblogged this from thestyleline
- heyitsmemikee likes this
- pxinless reblogged this from thestyleline
- smilenoey reblogged this from thestyleline
- klyukva likes this
- mop-sy reblogged this from thestyleline
- cameronbitches likes this
- jimmy19930325 likes this
- kzskzs likes this
- j0siep0sie likes this
- almost-golden-again likes this
- anembom likes this
- unitedcandyland reblogged this from thestyleline
- unitedcandyland likes this
- idealnouns reblogged this from abigailpaige
- fronne likes this
- toeberrycheek likes this
- akhdiyantididi reblogged this from thestyleline
- dismantledthoughts likes this
- meralisanat likes this